Introduction to Artesia, New Mexico
Artesia was originally known as Miller. The city adopted its present name in 1903. It was named after the discovery of artesian wells in the area. Artesia was incorporated in 1905. Until the early 1920s, the city flourished as an agricultural oasis. Oil was discovered in the area in 1924. The city is located in Eddy County, which was organized on February 25, 1889.
Artesia and nearby Attractions
- Artesia Historical Museum
- Abo Shopping Center
- Carlsbad Museum & Art Center
- Living Desert State Park
- Anderson Museum of Contemporary Art
- Brantley Lake State Park
Things To Do In Artesia
While in Artesia, one can enjoy water skiing, fishing, boating and sailing at the Brantley Lake State Park. The Artesia Historical Museum and Art Center is also a popular local spot. The Abo Shopping Center is the local shopping destination. Local churches include the Hermosa Drive Baptist Church, Victory Mission Church and the United Pentecostal Church. The Artesia Country Club provides excellent facilities for golfers. The city hosts the Eddy County Fair every July.
Facilities for air transportation are available from Lea County Airport .
Artesia Higher Education
Higher education can be pursued at Eastern New Mexico University, Odessa College and South Plains College.