Introduction to Calverton, New York
The present-day hamlet of Calverton was originally inhabited by Native Americans who named the area Conungam, meaning fixed line or boundary. In 1844, the Long Island Railroad was laid into the area. Soon after, the area came to be known as Baiting Hollow Station. The first post office was established in Calverton in 1868. The area was named after its first postmaster, Bernard J. Calvert.
Calverton and nearby Attractions
- Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society Museum
- Wildwood State Park
- Sagamore Hill National Historic Site
- Atlantis Marine World Aquarium
- Morton National Wildlife Refuge
Things To Do In Calverton
Wildwood State Park covers an area of around 600 acres and offers fishing and camping opportunities to visitors. The Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society Museum and the Sagamore Hill National Historic Site, which was the home of US President Theodore Roosevelt from 1886 to 1919, are some of the most notable nearby museums and historical sites. Golfers can enjoy a round at the Swan Lake Golf Club, Long Island National Golf Course or at the Cherry Creek Golf Course.
Air transportation is available from Tweed New Haven Regional Airport.
Calverton Higher Education
Nearby colleges and universities include Saint Joseph’s College-Suffolk Campus, the University Of New Haven and Suffolk County Community College-Ammerman Campus.