Introduction to Canton, New York
Canton was officially incorporated in 1845. The first permanent settlers arrived in Canton in 1801. Originally known as New Cairo, the village changed its name to Canton sometime around 1807. The village was modernized in the period between 1887 and 1889, with water works, a complete sewage system, and electrical lighting systems all installed in the area during this period. Canton was named after a Chinese city with the same name. Initially, the economy of the village was based on agriculture.
Canton and nearby Attractions
- Eel Weir State Park
- Silas Wright Museum
- Edwards History Center
- Boldt Castle
- New York State Zoo at Thompson Park
Things To Do In Canton
The Edwards History Center and the Frederick Remington Art Museum are some of the local museums. Local golfers can enjoy a round at the Partridge Run Golf & Country Club. Eel Weir State Park, located on the Oswegatchie River, offers provisions for recreational activities like fishing, picknicking and camping.
Ogdensburg International is the nearest airport.
Canton Higher Education
St. Lawrence University is located in Canton. Other nearby colleges and universities include Clarkson University and Jefferson Community College.