Introduction to Horseheads, New York
The Village of Horsehead was founded in 1830 and was incorporated in 1837. At that time it was called the Village of Fairport, but its name was to change three time’s first to Horseheads, then North Elmira and finally back to Horseheads in 1886. The village was named because during the American Revolutionary War, the Revolutionary forces slaughtered starving horses for food in the same area. Earlier the location was known as "The Valley of Horses Heads". Horseheads was also a port on the Chemung Canal at one time.
Horseheads and Nearby Attractions
- Arnot Art Museum
- Tioga Scenic Railroad
- Bement-Billings Farmstead
- Buttermilk Falls State Park
- Ross Park Zoo
Things To Do In Horseheads
Horseheads Historical Museum, the Science and Discovery Center, and the National Warplane Museum are located in Horseheads. Teal Park, Mark Twain State Park, and Buttermilk Falls State Park offer opportunities for recreational activities such as biking, picnicking, and hiking. Popular art museums and galleries near the village include Arnot Art Museum, Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art, and Rockwell Museum of Western Art. A trip may be planned to the Seabreeze Amusement Park which is not far from the village. This waterpark has more than 70 attractions, rides, and games.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport is a major airport nearby.
Horseheads Higher Education
Elmira College and Corning Community College are the closest colleges to Horseheads. Nearby colleges include Ithaca College and Cornell University.