Introduction to Lockport, New York
The present day City of Lockport was first settled in by Europeans in December of 1820. Most of the early settlers of the city were Quakers. The Erie Canal reached Lockport in 1824 and the step locks were completed in 1825. Lockport was established as a village around 1829. It was named after the Erie Canal locks. Lockport was incorporated as a city in 1865. In 1918, the Erie Canal was replaced by the New York State Barge Canal and the renowned south "flight of five" locks were superseded by E34 and E35 locks.
Lockport and nearby Attractions
- Colonel William Bond House
- Kenan Center
- Lockport Canal Museum
- Niagara County Historical Society Museum
- Buffalo Zoological Gardens
- Golden Hill State Park
Things To Do In Lockport
There are several parks and playgrounds in Lockport. Some of these include the Altro Park, Rogers Avenue Park, American Legion Park, Dudley Square Park, Outwater Park, Joseph E. Kibler Park, John Henry Garden and Tree Park and Niagara Street Park. The Canal Discovery Center and Lockport Canal Museum are also worth visiting. Niagara Falls is nearby and an extremely popular tourist spot. Golfers can visit Willowbrook Golf Course and Eagle Crest Golf Center.
International flights are available from Buffalo Niagara International Airport.
Lockport Higher Education
Niagara County Community College, Niagara University and Erie Community College- North Campus are some of the nearby colleges and universities.