Introduction to Port Jervis, New York
Port Jervis History
The first developed settlement in the area was established in 1690, when the community was known as Mahackamack. A 1,200-acre land grant was formalized in October of 1697. The area was rebuilt and developed after being burned and raided in the 1779 Battle of Minisink. In 1826, the Delaware and Hudson Canal was constructed, leading to further growth of the community. It was incorporated as the Village of Peenpack in 1853. In the mid 19th century, the community was renamed Port Jervis in honor of John Bloomfield Jervis, the chief engineer of the Delaware and Hudson Canal. Port Jervis was reincorporated as a city on July 26, 1907.
Port Jervis and nearby Attractions
- Fort Delaware Museum of Colonial History
- Gillinder Glass Factory & Museum
- Fort Decker
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
- Ringwood Manor
- George Washington Bridge
Things To Do In Port Jervis
Local museums and historical sites include the Fort Delaware Museum of Colonial History, the Harness Racing Museum & Hall of Fame, the Neversink Valley Area Museum and the Ten Mile River Scout Museum. The Space Farms Zoological Park and Museum features over 500 animals. It also houses antique cars, carriages and wagons. The 14,193-acre High Point State Park has a lake, nature trails and picnic areas. It also offers swimming, boating and fishing opportunities. Local golfers can enjoy a round at the Port Jervis Golf Course. The Fireman's Day Parade is held in the community every July.
Port Jervis Transportation
Sullivan County International is the closest major airport.
Port Jervis Higher Education
Nearby colleges and universities include Orange County Community College, the County College of Morris, East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania and Ramapo College of New Jersey.