Introduction to Solvay, New York
Solvay, New York, in Onondaga County, is 3 miles W of Syracuse, New York and 135 miles E of Buffalo, New York. The village is included in the Syracuse metropolitan area. As of the year 2000 census, 6,845 people lived in Solvay.
Solvay is located in Onondaga County, New York. The village was founded by James Geddes in 1794, and named Geddesville. The earliest residents in this area were predominantly Irish, followed by South Tyrolians and Poles. Today, Italian Americans make up the majority of Solvay’s population. Its name was changed from Geddesville to Solvay in 1884, after the Solvay processing company built a plant in the area and began producing soda ash. Solvay was formally incorporated as a village in 1895.
Solvay and nearby Attractions
- Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum
- Lorenzo State Historic Site
- Oneida Shores County Park
- Rosamond Gifford Zoo
- Silverman Planetarium
Things To Do In Solvay
Nearby museums include the Bridge House Museum, the Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum and the Everson Museum of Art. Nearby parks include Chittenango Falls State Park, Green Lakes State Park and Oneida Shores County Park. The Rosamond Gifford Zoo is nearby as well.
Air transportation is available from Syracuse Hancock International Airport.
Solvay Higher Education
Nearby colleges and universities include Syracuse University, Onondaga Community College, Le Moyne College and SUNY College at Cortland.