Introduction to Washingtonville, New York
Washingtonville was initially known as Matthews Field. Europeans first settled in the area in 1731, after Vincent Matthews bought land from local Native Americans in 1721. John Jacques, a shoemaker, established a shop in this area in 1809. Two years later, Samuel Moffat constructed a trading post in the community, and in 1818, he built the Washington Tavern. Following the establishment of a tannery, a gristmill and a plaster mill, the community began to prosper. Samuel and John Jacques named the community Washingtonville after George Washington. It was officially incorporated as a village in 1895.
Washingtonville and nearby Attractions
- Museum of the Hudson Highlands
- New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site
- Fahnestock State Park
- Blue Mountain Reservation
- New Jersey Botanical Garden
Things To Do In Washingtonville
The Orange County Firefighters Museum and the West Point Museum are some of the local museums. The Fahnestock State Park offers camping, fishing and boating opportunities. The New Windsor Cantonment State Historic Site is nearby as well. Local golfers can enjoy a round at the Otterkill Golf & Country Club.
Stewart International is the closest major airport.
Washingtonville Higher Education
Nearby colleges include Orange County Community College, Rockland Community College and Marist College.