Introduction to King, North Carolina
In the 1830s, Charles and Francis King used to live in a cabin in this area. Following the family's relocation to the north, their house served as a reference point or landmark. A post office was established in this area in 1888, and the community was then christened "King's Cabin." However, when the railroad tracks were set up a few years later, the community was renamed "King." This renaming took place on September 26, 1894. The first automobile arrived in King in October, 1911. Soon after, a number of highways were constructed and farmland was turned into subdivisions. King was incorporated on September 13, 1983.
King and nearby Attractions
- Reynolda House
- Hanging Rock State Park
- Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art
- Emerald Pointe Water Park
- Greensboro Arboretum
Things To Do In King
Old Salem, a restored 18th century Moravian community, is located near King. Bethabara Park, the Reynolda House and the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art are some of the other historic sites and museums in the area. Hanging Rock State Park and Pilot Mountain State Park offer canoeing, fishing, picnicking, hiking, rock climbing, swimming and boating opportunities. Tanglewood Park includes Mallard Lake, a manor house and a rose garden. Golfers can enjoy a round at the Stonewall Golf Course. In addition, the community celebrates the Stokes County Fair every September.
Piedmont Triad International is the nearest major airport.
King Higher Education
Wake Forest University, Forsyth Technical Community College and Winston-Salem State University are some of the local colleges and universities.