Introduction to Delphos, Ohio
Delphos, Ohio, in Allen county, is 45 miles SE of Fort Wayne, Indiana (center to center) and 70 miles SW of Toledo, Ohio. The city is included in the Lima metropolitan area. As of the 2000 census, 6,944 people lived in Delphos.
Delphos was founded by Reverend John O. Bredeick and Ferdinand Bredeick, his brother. It was established in the midst of the Great Black Swamp in 1844. In 1845, the brothers platted the east and west sides of the city, which was a town at that point. The towns, named East and West Bredeick, were founded on the Miami & Erie Canal which also opened that year. Delphos was officially incorporated on February 7, 1851.
Delphos and Nearby Attractions
- Allen County Museum
- Fort Amanda
- Grand Lake St. Marys State Park
- Black Pine Animal Park
- Schedel Arboretum and Gardens
- Swiss Valley
Things To Do In Delphos
Museums in the area include Allen County Museum, Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, and the Bicycle Museum of America. Historic sites such as Fort Amanda, Fort Recovery, and the Limberlost State Historic Site are situated nearby. There are also several parks in the region, namely, Grand Lake St. Marys State Park, Independence Dam State Park, and Indian Lake State Park. Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory, Fort Wayne Children's Zoo, and Schedel Arboretum and Gardens are other popular destinations near Delphos.
Fort Wayne International Airport is the nearest major airport.
Delphos Higher Education
James A Rhodes State College, Ohio State University - Lima and University of Northwestern Ohio are nearby colleges.