Introduction to Elyria, Ohio
Elyria, Ohio is 23 miles SW of Cleveland, Ohio. It's situated in northeastern Ohio in Lorain county. The Black River runs through the town. Elyria is home to the headquarters of Invacare, Ridgid Tool, Elyria Manufacturing Company, Bendix Commercial Vehicle Systems, and Diamond Products. A large number of residents commute to Cleveland to work.
The city was established in 1817 by Heam Ely. He constructed a gristmill, dam and a sawmill. Ely donated a major portion of the land for the community. The town was named in tribute to him. Elyria included a large number of manufacturing companies. Elyria Canning Company was a major employer. In 1967 the Midway Mall was open for business which caused a vast number of local businesses to relocate to the mall or shut down.
- The Apple Festival is a popular event.
- Stocker Humanities & Fine Arts Center offers a variety of theatrical performances, music and dance performances.
- Elyria Civil War Monument.
- Jamie's Flea Market.
- Stocker Center Art Gallery.
- The Hickories features exhibits on the history of Lorain County.
- The Train Depot is an impressive structure.
- Town Hall.
- Stone Tower.
The city includes numerous parks and recreational centers. Elywood is a popular park. Cascade Park is situated in a scenic ravine. The Black River flows through it and the park features the notable East Falls. It's utilized for sledding during the winter. Residents enjoy outdoor activities at the nearby Lake Erie, Spencer Lake and Findley State Park. They also have opportunities for a variety of activities in close by Cleveland.
Elyria Higher Education
Lorain County Community College is located in Elyria.
The city is served by the nearby Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.