Introduction to Fremont, Ohio
Fremont, Ohio, in Sandusky county, is 31 miles SE of Toledo, Ohio. The city contains a population of approximately 17,375.
The area was established in the year 1817 under the name of the "Lower Sandusky" town. However, this naming resulted in major confusion for postal delivery as there were two other places in Ohio by the name of "sandusky" and "Upper Sandusky". In 1849, the name was changed to Fremont in honor of the explorer and presidential candidate, John C. Fremont. The National Arbor Day Foundation has designated the city of Fremont as a "Tree City USA". Among the former residents of Freemont was the 19th president of the United States, Rutherford B. Hayes.
Fremont and nearby Attractions
- Rutherford B Hayes Presidential Center Library
- Fremont City Hall
- Fremont Yacht Club
- Ebenezer Church of God in Christ
- Minnow Creek
- Spiegel Grove State Park
Things To Do In Fremont
In Fremont, one can visit the city halls and public libraries to learn more about the history of the city. Some of the other notable attractions in Fremont are the fire stations, the Sandusky County Jail, and the Sandusky County Courthouse. The Sandusky County Fairgrounds hosts a variety of flea markets, fairs, and racer's swaps that are very popular among tourists as well as residents of the city. Visitors can also take a trip to the various churches and cemeteries lining the streets of this city. The Spiegel Grove State Park, the Stephenson Park, the Anderson Field, and the Roger Young Memorial Park are among the parks offering recreational opportunities to be enjoyed by both adults and children. Enthusiastic shoppers will enjoy browsing through the shops at Fremont Plaza Shopping Center and the Potter Village Shopping Center.
Toledo Express Airport offers air transportation facilities.
Fremont Higher Education
Higher educational opportunities are available at the local Terra State Community College. Other institutes nearby include the Bowling Green State University-Main Campus, the University of Toledo, and the University of Findlay.