Introduction to Northwood, Ohio
Northwood, Ohio, in Wood county, is 5 miles SE of Toledo, Ohio. The city benefits from easy access to the nearby cities and towns with which it shares the Toledo metropolitan area.
The community of Northwood, which was officially established on April 18th, 1874, was initially known as "Ross Township." In its early days, the community was comprised primarily of farms, gardens and orchards. Edward Ford's glass factory was built in 1898, which eventually led to Rossford village's incorporation in 1939. At that time, the village was a part of the Ross Township, however following the village's incorporation, Ross Township was divided, and ultimately ceased to exist. On December 1, 1962, the area was incorporated as the city of Northwood. It was named because of its location in the northern part of Wood County.
Northwood and Nearby Attractions
- Fallen Timbers
- Toledo Museum of Art
- Fort Meigs
- Cedar Point National Wildlife Refuge
- Schedel Arboretum and Gardens
- Maumee Bay State Park
Things To Do In Northwood
The Toledo Museum of Art features a permanent collection, as well as several special collections. It also offers classes on drawing, painting, glass blowing and ceramics. Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, the former home of the President, now houses a museum and a library. Fallen Timbers, the site of the 1794 battle which resulted in the victory of Major General Anthony Wayne's forces, is a place of historic interest near Northwood. Cedar Point National Wildlife Refuge is a 2,445-acre habitat for migrating waterfowl and various other water and marsh birds. Swan Creek Preserve Metropark, Crane Creek State Park, Schedel Arboretum and Gardens and Toledo Zoo are among the other popular attractions in the area.
Air transportation is available from the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport.
Northwood Higher Education
Nearby colleges include the Bowling Green State University, Owens Community College, Terra State Community College and University of Toledo.