Introduction to Vandalia, Ohio
Vandalia, Ohio, in Montgomery county, is 9 miles N of Dayton, Ohio (center to center) and 52 miles N of Cincinnati, Ohio. The city is included in the Dayton - Springfield metropolitan area. As of the year 2000 census, 14,603 people lived in Vandalia.
Benjamin Wilhelm, a settler from Pennsylvania, was headed to the city of Vandalia, located in Illinois, when he settled in this region of Ohio and named it after the Illinois city. This occurred in August of 1838 and gradually more people began to arrive in this place. Vandalia was incorporated as "The Village of Vandalia" on February 7, 1848. It was reincorporated as a Charter City of the State of Ohio on January 1, 1960.
Vandalia and nearby Attractions
- Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park
- Boonshoft Museum of Discovery
- Vandalia Branch Library
- Poplar Creek
- Cassell Hills Municipal Golf Course
- Art Van Atta Park
Things To Do In Vandalia
Travelers to Vandalia can visit the historic sites and museums including Paul Lawrence Dunbar House, Aullwood Audubon Center & Farm, and Boonshoft Museum of Discovery. The Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park commemorates the work of Paul Laurence Dunbar and the Wright brothers. At the Dayton Art Institute, one can see collections of American, European, and Asian art. There are a number of industrial parks and business centers in the city also worth visiting. Among these are the Seventyfive North Industrial Park, the Poe Avenue Industrial Park, and the Dayton Center Business Park. The Taylorsville Reservoir, the Ohnoname 19 Reservoir, and the Poplar Creek are popular tourist destinations. In addition, one can also visit the shopping centers and amusement parks that offer a host of entertainment facilities.
James M. Cox Dayton International Airport provides air transportation facilities to residents of Vandalia.
Vandalia Higher Education
Opportunities for higher education are available at Sinclair Community College, University of Dayton, and Wright State University-Main Campus.