Introduction to Willard, Ohio
Willard was formerly known as Chicago Junction, a name reserved for the junction of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad and the Baltimore and Ohio, and Chicago Railroad. The town was founded in 1874. Since the name "Chicago Junction" created confusion in the minds of the passengers heading for Chicago, the town changed its name to Willard in 1917. It was named in honor of Daniel Willard, the president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Willard was officially incorporated as a city in 1960.
Willard and Nearby Attractions
- Edison Birthplace Museum
- Johnson Island Civil War Prison and Fort Site
- Black River Reservation
- Goodtimes Amusement Park
- Schedel Arboretum and Gardens
Things To Do In Willard
There are several museums near the city, including the Edison Birthplace Museum and the Milan Historical Museum, which provide information about historical aspects of the region. Trips may be planned to parks such as Malabar Farm State Park, Kelleys Island State Park, Findley State Park, and Bradley Woods Reservation, situated near Willard. Popular attractions to visit also include the African Safari Wildlife Park, the Goodtimes Amusement Park, Schedel Arboretum and Gardens, and Kingwood Center.
Flights are available from Cleveland - Hopkins International Airport.
Willard Higher Education
Ashland University, Oberlin College, and Lorain County Community College are situated near Willard.