Introduction to Guthrie, Oklahoma
Guthrie, Oklahoma, in Logan county, is 15 miles N of Edmond, Oklahoma and 28 miles N of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The city is considered part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area. Guthrie has a population of 9,925.
Guthrie was permanently settled on April 22, 1889. The first brick block building in the area was built by Hobart Johnstone Whitley, the Father of Hollywood. The first post office of the area was established on April 4, 1889. The city became the first capital of Oklahoma in 1907, a title it held until June 11, 1910. The city was named after John Guthrie, a Kansas judge.
Guthrie and nearby Attractions
- Oklahoma Territorial Museum
- Noble Park
- State Capital Publishing Museum
- National Lighter Museum
- Frontier City Theme Park
- State Capital State Park
Things To Do In Guthrie
Guthrie offers easy access to several museums, including the Edmond Historical Society Museum, the State Capital Publishing Museum, the National Four-String Banjo Hall of Fame Museum and the Oklahoma Frontier Drugstore Museum. Highland Park and Noble Park provide amenities for several different types of recreational opportunities. Local celebrations include the Apples & Quilts Festival, the International Bluegrass Festival and the Jazz Banjo Festival.
Stillwater Regional Airport provides facilities for air transportation.
Guthrie Higher Education
The University of Central Oklahoma, Southern Nazarene University and Langston University provide higher education in the area.