Introduction to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
This region was originally occupied by Native Americans. In the 18th century, it came under the possession of William Penn's family, from whom Ludwig Derr purchased several tracts of land and established a settlement. In 1783, Derr, together with Samuel Weiser, created the community of "Derrstown". Later, the name was changed to "Lewisburg". According to records, Derr's first name, Ludwig, was translated to English as "Louis". However, since he was of German descent, the name was spelt "Lewis", and the community was named "Lewisburg" in his honor. It was officially incorporated in 1812.
Lewisburg and Nearby Attractions
- Slifer House Museum
- Joseph Priestley House
- Sand Spring State Park
- Clyde Peeling's Reptiland
- Knoebels Amusement Park
Things To Do In Lewisburg
Slifer House Museum, which houses exhibits in a restored Victorian mansion, is situated in Lewisburg. The town also offers easy access to historic sites and museums like the Mifflinburg Buggy Museum, Peter J. McGovern Little League Museum, and the Joseph Priestley House. Clyde Peeling's Reptiland is a specialized zoo which is home to cobras, vipers, mambas, alligators, pythons, lizards, frogs, and various other rare species of animals. Opportunities for hiking, boating, fishing, camping, and picnicking are available at Ravensburg State Park, Susquehanna State Park, and Sand Bridge State Park.
Air transportation is available from the Harrisburg International Airport.
Lewisburg Higher Education
Lewisburg is home to Bucknell University. Other colleges close by include the Lycoming College, Pennsylvania College of Technology, and Susquehanna University.