Introduction to Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Nazareth, Pennsylvania, in Northampton county, is 8 miles N of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (center to center) and 55 miles N of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. There are 6,023 residents in Nazareth, which is in the Allentown - Bethlehem - Easton area.
The area was originally owned by the family of William Penn. George Whitefield, an English evangelist, purchased 5,000 acres in the region in 1740. Since the annual tax of the land was one rose, the area came to be referred to as the "Barony of the Rose". A stone building, now known as the Whitefield House, was constructed in May, 1740. A group of Moravian immigrants bought Whitfield's property in 1741 and established the community of "Nazareth", named after the biblical town where Jesus Christ spent his youth. In the mid-1900s, a large number of Pennsylvania Dutch settlers arrived, and Nazareth became home to people of different religious faiths. The town experienced significant growth and development during the construction boom of the late 20th century.
Nazareth and Nearby Attractions
- Whitefield House Museum
- George Taylor House
- National Canal Museum
- Beltzville State Park
- Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom
- Spruce Run Recreation Area
Things To Do In Nazareth
The town of Nazareth is close to a number of historic sites and museums including the National Canal Museum, Historic Bethlehem, Kemerer Museum of Decorative Arts, George Taylor House, and Stroud Mansion. Beltzville State Park, which is situated on 2,972 acres, offers amenities for boating, fishing, hiking, swimming, and picnicking. Spruce Run Recreation Area features nature trails, and swimming and picnic areas. Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom, Sesame Place, Bushkill Park, and Leonard Buck Garden are among other popular destinations near Nazareth.
Air transportation is available from Lehigh Valley International Airport.
Nazareth Higher Education
Lafayette College, Lehigh University, Moravian College, and Northampton County Area Community College are some of the colleges near Nazareth.