Introduction to Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Palmerton, Pennsylvania, in Carbon county, is 14 miles NW of Allentown, Pennsylvania (center to center) and 63 miles N of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The town is included in the Allentown - Bethlehem - Easton metropolitan area. As of the 2000 census, 5,248 people lived in Palmerton.
The region was originally inhabited by tribes of Native Americans. European settlers arrived in the 18th century, and established the villages of "Little Gap", and "Hazard" in the area. They also constructed an underground railroad station. The New Jersey Zinc Company established a zinc smelting operation in 1898 which is now known as the West Plant. In spite of the presence of other industries like garment manufacturing shops, the zinc company remained the largest employer and most significant contributor to the town's economy. The community was named "Palmerton" in honor of Stephen S. Palmer, the then-President of the New Jersey Zinc Company. Palmerton was incorporated in 1912.
Palmerton and Nearby Attractions
- Eckley Miners' Village
- Moravian Museum
- Allentown Art Museum
- Big Pocono State Park
- Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom
Things To Do In Palmerton
Artifacts of historical significance are housed in the Haines Mill Museum, Moravian Museum, and Lehigh County Museum. Eckley Miners' Village, an old mining village, now operates as a museum and includes a company store, workers' dwellings, and doctor's offices. George Taylor House is another historic site near Palmerton. Big Pocono State Park, which is spread across 1,306 acres, offers facilities for hiking, picnicking, and horseback riding. Hickory Run State Park, Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom, and Beltzville State Park are other popular destinations in the area. Residents of Palmerton also host the Carbon County Fair in August every year.
Lehigh Valley International Airport is close by.
Palmerton Higher Education
Kutztown University, Cedar Crest College, Penn State Lehigh Valley, and Lehigh Carbon Community College are some of the colleges near Palmerton.