Introduction to Cibolo, Texas
Cibolo is located in western Guadalupe County near Cibolo Creek and is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan area. Cibolo translates to "buffalo" in the Spanish language. The Indians used to take advantage of the very steep slopes along the banks of Cibolo Creek and stampeded buffalo off the riverbanks in order to make them easier prey. The primary economic factors for the city are the nearby Randolph Air Force Base and the growth of the city of San Antonio. One of the primary landmarks in the city is an enormous historic oak tree which is included in the Historic Trees of Texas list.
During their excursions the Spaniard Conquistadors introduced cattle and horses to the area. The cattle population was soon thriving and wild cattle were seen roaming on the land. In 1867 Jacob Schlather was the first to purchase land in the region. The early settlers were primarily Germans. Settlers had difficulty arriving due to the steep banks of the area creeks. Bridges were constructed which led to a significant increase in the population.
The local store was purchased by Charles Fromme in 1882 and the town became known as Fromme's Store. In 1877 the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway reached the town. In 1890 it had a population of approximately 100 people. In 1904 the first school house was built. The census taken in 1940 recorded a population of 250, one post office, nine businesses and one bank. Significant growth occurred during the 1980's due to being conveniently located to San Antonio.
One of the major activities in the small town is golfing at the Northcliffe Golf & Country Club. The nearby Rio Cibolo Ranch is a Longhorn cattle ranch. The land was originally inhabited by Apache and Comanche. They offer a barge ride on the nearby river and host private events.