Introduction to Granbury, Texas
Granbury, Texas, in Hood county, is 33 miles SW of Fort Worth, Texas. The city has a population of 5,718.
Emigrants led by "Uncle Tommy" Lambert and Amon Bond crossed the Brazos River and entered this traditionally Indian region in 1854. That year Elizabeth Crockett came to live on the land given to families of men who participated in the Texan revolution. The town, which was built on riverfront land donated by J. and J. H. Nutt, was named after Gen. Hiram Bronson Granbury, who was in charge of the Confederate troops in the area. The town prospered as a commercial hub for items like grains, peanuts, peaches, pecans, and cotton. Railways arrived in 1887. It boomed when the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant was constructed in the 1980s.
Granbury and Nearby Attractions
- Pate Museum of Transportation
- Acton State Historic Site
- Cleburne State Park
- Dinosaur Valley State Park
- Fort Belknap
Things To Do In Granbury
The burial place of Elizabeth Crockett, the second wife of Davy Crockett, is located at the Acton State Historic Site. The Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, constructed in 1941, was designed by O'Neil Ford. Fort Belknap was the key fort of a series of forts built from Red River to Rio Grande. Only the 1852 arsenal, which was made of stone, survives. Other parts of the fort were constructed in 1936 when Texas celebrated its centennial year. The Dinosaur Valley State Park, known for its dinosaur tracks, also offers opportunities for biking, horseback riding, camping, hiking, and picnicking.
Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport is located near the city.
Granbury Higher Education
Texas Christian University, Weatherford College, and Southwestern Adventist University are situated near Granbury.