Introduction to Harker Heights, Texas
Harker Heights, Texas, in Bell county, is 4 miles SE of Killeen, Texas (center to center) and 56 miles N of Austin, Texas. Part of the surrounding Killeen - Temple metro area, the city is not an isolated city.
Harker Heights History
The area now known as Harker Heights was once owned by Pinckney R. Cox and Harley Kern. In fact, the city was named after Harley Kern. In 1957, Cox and Kern subdivided their land and began selling the lots. The area was incorporated on September 24, 1960, and Cox became the first mayor. Harker Heights annexed the Comanche Hills Utility District in December 1988. The city is part of the Killeen Temple Fort Hood Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Harker Heights and nearby Attractions
- Stillhouse Hollow Lake
- 1st Cavalry Division Museum
- Mother Neff State Park
- Railroad & Heritage Museum
- Czech Heritage Museum
- Earle-Harrison House & Gardens
Things To Do In Harker Heights
Harker Heights offers numerous recreational opportunities for residents and visitors. Among the local parks and playgrounds are the Carl Levin City Park, Kern Park, Skipcha Park, Cardinal Greenspace, Summit Soccer Complex, Booker Greenspace, and Sprint Park. The Stillhouse Hollow Lake provides facilities for fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, picnicking, and swimming. Golf lovers can also visit the Killeen Municipal Golf Course.
Harker Heights Transportation
Air transportation is available from Robert Gray AAF.
Harker Heights Higher Education
Central Texas College and University of Mary Hardin-Baylor are the nearby institutes of higher education.