Introduction to Henderson, Texas
The community of Henderson was established in 1843. It was named after James Pinckney Henderson, the first governor of Texas. W.B. Ochiltree and General James Smith were the founding fathers of the city. In the same year, the city became the county seat of the newly formed Rusk County. The city's first courthouse was completed in 1849. The area was originally served by the Henderson and Overton Branch Railroad Company which was chartered on April 29, 1874. Henderson was incorporated in 1911, and the Home Rule Charter was adopted in 1947.
Henderson and nearby Attractions
- Lakeforest Park
- Gaston Museum
- Depot Museum and Children's Discovery Center
- Howard - Dickinson House
- GAF Auto Museum
- Caldwell Zoo
Things To Do In Henderson
The city of Henderson offers a number of parks and open spaces including Fair Park, Yates Park, and Lake Forest Park. The city also has several houses of worship. Among them are the Celebration Baptist Church, Saint Judes Catholic Church, Arlem Grove Baptist Church, First United Pentecostal Church, and Church of the Nazarene. The Depot Museum and Children's Discovery Center, Poe-Jones-Richardson House, and Howard-Dickinson House are also worth visiting.
Flights can be availed from East Texas Regional Airport.
Henderson Higher Education
Texas Baptist Institute and Seminary lies within the city. Higher educational facilities are also available at Kilgore College, Stephen F. Austin State University, and The University of Texas at Tyler.