Introduction to Kilgore, Texas
Kilgore was established in 1872 when the first phase of the rail line connecting Palestine and Longview was completed. In 1873, the town had a post office and began attracting residents and businesses from New Danville. Over the next couple of years, Kilgore had 250 residents and a church, two cotton gins, and a school. In 1910, the Kilgore Independent School District was established.
Kilgore and nearby Attractions
- East Texas Oil Museum
- Tyler Municipal Rose Garden
- Jefferson Railway Depot
- Caldwell Zoo
- Gregg County Historical Museum
- Longview Museum of Fine Arts
Things To Do In Kilgore
The Martin Creek Lake State Park, which occupies an area of 287 acres, offers facilities for picnicking, boating, fishing, water skiing, and camping. Tyler Park, which lies farther away, is spread over a huge 985-acre of land and has facilities for fishing, boating, swimming, mountain biking, picnicking, and camping.
East Texas Regional Airport provides facilities for air transportation.
Kilgore Higher Education
Kilgore College is the local higher education institution. Others in the neighborhood are the University of Texas and Tyler Junior College.