Introduction to Lampasas, Texas
John Burleson, who served in the Texas Revolution, received 1,280 acres for his services and established a permanent setlement with it in the 1850s. The area was initially called Burleson, but, because of the seven mineral springs in the area, the name was changed to Lampasas Springs. The county of Lampasas was created in 1856. Because the law mandated that the name of the county seat should be the same as the county, the city's name was changed to Lampasas. The railroad that connected Lampasas with Galveston heralded progress and development in leaps and bounds. The first passenger train came to the city in May 1872.
Lampasas and Nearby Attractions
- Colorado Bend State Park
- Keystone Square Museum
- Earle-Harrison House & Gardens
- Cameron Park Zoo
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
Things To Do In Lampasas
There are several places of interest in and around Lampasas. Hancock Park, Cambell Park and Hanna Springs, Keystone Square Museum, and Colorado Bend State Park are all located in the area. Golfers may enjoy a game at Hancock Park Golf Course. Historic Hancock Springs Free Flow Pool and Hanna Springs Swimming Pool are open to the public. Mother Neff State Park, Longhorn Cavern State Park, and Inks Lake State Park have provisions for hiking, picnicking, swimming, biking, and camping. Some of the historic sites that may be visited are Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park, State Capitol, and Texas State Cemetary.
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is a major airport nearby.
Lampasas Higher Education
Colleges nearby include Central Texas College, Temple College, and Howard Payne University.