Introduction to Lancaster, Texas
Lancaster, Texas, in Dallas county, is 14 miles S of Dallas, Texas. The city is included in the Dallas metropolitan area. As of the year 2000 census, 25,894 people lived in Lancaster.
The city of Lancaster was founded in 1852 after "Honest A" Bledsoe surveyed the area and laid down plans for the town on a 430-acre plot of land. Bledsoe modeled the city after his hometown of Lancaster, Kentucky. The city was incorporated in 1866 and remains one of the first incorporated communities located within Dallas County, Texas. The city prospered rapidly after December 1888 with the establishment of the train depot of Lancaster as a stop on the Dallas and Waco train line.
Lancaster and nearby Attractions
- Captain R A Rawlins House
- Church of Christ Cold Springs
- Edgewood Cemetery
- Cedardale Park
- Confederate Air Force
- Dallas County - Justices Of The Peace
Things To Do In Lancaster
Captain R. A. Rawlins House was built in 1870 by Captain Rawlins and his family. Today, it is a nationally registered historical site and a place of great interest to travelers. It was built using architectural plans and symmetry of the Greek Revival period. The Church of Christ, located at Cold Springs, and Edgewood Cemetery are both known for their magnificent architecture and serene ambience. Cedardale Park has provisions for various recreational activities and is a great place for spending a quiet day in the arms of nature. Confederate Air Force is known for its various cultural attractions, events, and facilities.
Air transportation facilities are provided by Dallas Love Field Airport.
Lancaster Higher Education
Cedar Valley College is the local institute of higher education. Mountain View College and Dallas Baptist University are also nearby.