Introduction to Lewisville, Texas
Lewisville is located in Denton County and is part of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. It's bordered by Lewisville Lake and Lake Grapevine. The city and the surrounding area is well known for golfing.
The first non-native settlements were established in the early 1840's. Basdeal Lewis bought the acreage which became Lewisville and named the city after himself. In 1885 the building which is now utilized as the Greater Lewisville Community Theatre was constructed and is the oldest structure in town. The population was approximately 500 during the year of 1900.
The economy was based on agriculture related businesses such as a grist mill, a cotton gin and a feed mill. In 1925 Lewisville was incorporated as a city. Growth primarily occurred west of the downtown area as houses were replacing farm land. The population rapidly increased after the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport was open for business in 1974.
Lewisville Lake provides opportunities for boating, fishing, camping and other activities. It's a man-made lake which was constructed primarily for flood control and as a water source for the Dallas region. The lake is known for beautiful sunsets and features extensive scenic trails. It's very popular during the summer months. Grapevine Lake includes numerous parks for recreation. The lake features nature, equestrian and bicycle riding trails.
Boating, camping and fishing for bass and other species of fish are popular activities. The Lewisville Fishing Barge provides outdoor and indoor fishing. Golf enthusiasts enjoy the numerous golf courses such as Lake Park Golf Course, Bridlewood, Cowboys Golf Club and the Tribute. The city contains a large number of public parks.
- Old Town Lewisville features antique shops and specialty boutiques and a variety of restaurants
- Texas Motor Speedway
- The Austin Ranch includes a grand ballroom and the Silver Lake Saloon
- Circle R Ranch is a large acreage which features horseback riding, mechanical bulls, country-western music and other types of entertainment
- Hawaiian Falls Adventure Park
- Interskate provides family entertainment and is also a sports center
- Lakeland Antiques & Crafts features a vast number of vendors
- The Lewisville Lizards play in the Continental Baseball League
- Lewisville Prehistoric Site
- The Milliken House is a Texas Historic Landmark
- Vista Ridge Mall is popular with shoppers
- The Feed Mill located in Old Town showcases a vast amount of old farm equipment
- The Actors Conservatory Theatre
- Flower Mound Chamber Orchestra
- Greater Lewisville Community Theatre
- Lake Cities Ballet Theatre
- Lewisville Lake Symphony
The city is served by the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. Public transit is offered by the Denton County Transportation Authority and it provides a connection with the Dallas Area Rapid Transit in Dallas.