Introduction to Rockport, Texas
Rockport, Texas, in Aransas county, is 25 miles NE of Corpus Christi, Texas. About 7,385 people live in Rockport.
The city of Rockport was established just after the Civil War. Situated between the Copano and Aransas bays, the community was namedbecause of the presence of a rock ledge under its shore. The first shipping wharf was built by Joseph F. Smith and John H. Wood in 1868, and the town was incorporated in 1870. From the 1880s, fishing and boatbuilding were the important industries of the community. The shrimping industry flourished during the 1940s and 50s. The Connie Hagar Wildlife Sanctuary was established in 1967. Along with fishing and tourism, shrimping remains the principal source of income for the residents of Rockport.
Rockport and Nearby Attractions
- Texas Maritime Museum
- Blue Wave Beach
- Connie Hagar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Presidio La Bahia
- Texas State Aquarium
Things To Do In Rockport
The Blue Wave beach is litter free and accessible to handicapped people. There is a water skiing basin close to the beach. The nearby Texas Maritime Museum houses exhibits related to the growth of the maritime community and the exploration of oil and gas in the region. Visitors may enjoy fishing, camping, and boating at the Goose Island State Park, which is situated upon 321 acres, and is enclosed by the St. Charles and Aransas bays. The Fannin Battleground State Historic Site marks where Col. J.W. Fannin laid down his arms and surrendered to the Mexican General Jose Urrea. Among other popular places to visit are Copano Bay State Fishing Pier, Fulton Mansion State Historical Park, Corpus Christi Botanical Gardens, Texas State Aquarium, and Texas Zoo. Residents of Rockport also celebrate several annual events like the Seafair, Fiesta en la Playa, Rockport Art Festival, and Oktoberfest.
Air transportation is available from Corpus Christi International Airport.
Rockport Higher Education
Nearby colleges include the Del Mar College, Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi, and University of Houston - Victoria.