Introduction to Round Rock, Texas
Round Rock is situated in the Central Texas hill country in Williamson County and is part of the Austin-Round Rock Metropolitan region. It's the worldwide headquarters of Dell Inc. The city received the prestigious Comprehensive Planning Award given by the Texas Chapter of the American Planning Association.
In 2008 the Austin-Round Rock area ranked number six on Kiplinger's Personal Finance "Best Place to Work and Play" list. The Senior Associate Editor stated that Round Rock was a family oriented suburb which provides top-notch public schools, an economy featuring Dell and a thriving sports tourism industry. The "Best Cities for Relocating Families" conducted by Primacy and Worldwide ERC placed the Austin-Round Rock area at number five in the nationwide study.
In 1851 a small town was established along the banks of the Brushy Creek. In 1854 it was given the name Round Rock in tribute to the large round rock situated in the creek which marked a low-water crossing area for wagons and cattle. After the Civil War ended, Jesse Chisholm included Brushy Creek as part of his cattle trail. The route became the well known Chisholm Trail. Downtown Round Rock was the scene of the notable gunfight and capture of the famous train robber Sam Bass.
- Historic Saint Charles Hotel is a notable site.
- Old Town showcases numerous historic structures.
- The Round Rock Express play baseball in the Pacific Coast League.
- Palm House Museum was the home of the founders of the city and features authentic furnishings.
- Dell Diamond Stadium is home to the Round Rock Express baseball team and includes a popular swimming pool, a rock climbing wall and locations for sports activities for the community. It's a popular venue for concerts, craft shows and a variety of other events.
Travis Lake is popular for sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, fishing and camping. Resorts and vacation homes are situated along the lake. Mineral outcroppings as well as fossils are located in the area. Nearby Lake Austin provides opportunities for boating and water skiing. Golfing enthusiasts enjoy the Forest Creek Golf Club.