Introduction to Radford, Virginia
William Ingles arrived in this area in 1762 with his wife, Mary Draper Ingles. The couple established Ingles's Ferry, which became a commercial center with a tavern, general store, blacksmith's shop, and other businesses. The Virginia and Tennessee Railroad came to this area in 1854. A depot was built at Lovely Mount and named Central since it was situated between Bristol and Lynchburg. Central developed rapidly and, in 1885, it was officially incorporated as a town. Its name was changed to Radford in 1887.
Radford and nearby Attractions
- Bisset Park
- Riverway Trail
- Wildwood Park
- Claytor Lake State Park
- Radford Mountain Bike Park
- Draper Valley Golf Club
Things To Do In Radford
Radford is located on a large bend of New River. The river serves as a popular hub for recreational opportunities. People frequent the river banks to enjoy picnics or to simply relax. They also enjoy swimming, fishing, canoeing, and kayaking. The city manages over 100 acres of parkland along the riverfront with playgrounds, soccer and football fields, tennis courts, a volleyball court, picnic shelters, and approximately five miles of walking, hiking, and biking trails.
Roanoke Regional/Woodrum Field Airport is nearby.
Radford Higher Education
Radford University, New River Community College, and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University are some of the institutions with facilities for higher education.