Introduction to Bremerton, Washington
Bremerton is situated along the Kitsap Peninsula in the Puget Sound area in Kitsap County. Seattle can be reached by an hour long ferry ride that transports vehicles as well as walking passengers. The town is divided by the Port Washington Narrows. The Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is located in Bremerton. The fine arts scene is recognized as one of the biggest and most noteworthy in the Northwest Region. The Gold Mountain Golf Complex has been rated as one of the premier public golf courses in the United States.
During the mid-1880's the logging and timber industry was the primary factor for the economy. In 1888 the U.S. Navy concluded that Point Turner, situated between the waters of Sinclair and Dyes Inlets would be a great location for the shipyard they planned to build in the Pacific Northwest. The Navy purchased land and constructed the Puget Sound Navy Yard. Due to the Bremerton waterfront being filled with prostitution, sailors being robbed, opium houses and saloons, Navy Secretary Charles Darling moved the shipyard to California in 1902. After the city revoked the liquor licenses Darling decided to return the shipyard to Bremerton.
During World War I the manufacturing of submarines and the construction of another dry dock significantly expanded the workforce in the area. The large increase in population during World War II can be attributed to the vast amount of shipbuilding and repair and maintenance services that were provided. However, a vast number of the workers were living there on a temporary basis and vacated the region by 1950.
The city is served by Kitsap Transit.
- Evergreen Waterfront Park.
- Nearby Manette feature numerous antique shops and waterfront dining opportunities.
- Evergreen Children's Theatre & Aurora Valentinetti Puppet Museum showcases a wide variety of theatrical puppets.
- Aircraft Carrier Row.
- Jarstad Park.
- Kitsap County Historical Museum.
- Bremerton Harborside & Louis Mentor Waterfront Boardwalk.
- The Bremerton Naval Museum features Japanese sword collections and Russian uniforms.
- USS Turner Joy Historic Ship Tours.
- Elandan Gardens features a prominent Bonsai Garden.
- Suquamish Clearwater Casino.
- Harborside Fountain Park.
- Admiral Theatre.
- Kitsap Conference Center Plaza.
- Bainbridge Island Winery.
- Kitsap Classic Cycling Museum showcases famous bicycles from the sport of cycling.
- First Friday Arts Walk
- Armed Forces Festival
- All City Arts Walk
- Kitsap County Fair and Stampede Rodeo
- Bremerton Blackberry Festival
- Lighted Boat Parade