Introduction to Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Wisconsin Rapids History
The area which is now known as Wisconsin Rapids is the county seat of Wood County. The city was formerly named 'Adahwahgam' which meant 'two-sided rapids'. The Europeans began to settle in the community in the 1830s. The area came to be known as Wisconsin Rapids since 1920. Initially, the Wisconsin River divided the community into two parts. The eastern side was incorporated as Grand Rapids and the western side as Centralia. In 1900, both the cities merged to form Grand Rapids. The name was then changed to Wisconsin Rapids in the year 1920.
Wisconsin Rapids and nearby Attractions
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum
- Buckhorn State Park
- Museum of Natural History
- Petenwell County Park
- New Visions Gallery
- Mill Bluff State Park
Things To Do In Wisconsin Rapids
While in Wisconsin Rapids, people can visit places like Wisconsin Rapids Skate Park, Glacial Lake Cranberries, and Rapids Municipal Zoo. There are numerous parks in the area such as Robinson Park, Gaynor Park, and Lyon Park, which offer a variety of facilities for recreation. Local churches include Our Lady Queen of Heaven Church, Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, and First Church of Christ Scientist. The community celebrates festivals like Cranberry Blossom Festival in the month of June, Balloon Rally and Music Festival in the month of July, and Harvest Fest in the month of September.
Wisconsin Rapids Transportation
Central Wisconsin Airport offers air transportation.
Wisconsin Rapids Higher Education
Mid - State Technical College is located in the city. Other nearby collegs are Madison Area Technical College and University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point.