Office Manager For A Manufacturer
Job Title: Office Manager
Education: accounting degree at business college
Previous Experience: I worked at a grocery store as a back up bookkeeper, in a customer service department and helped in other depts. Before I left I wrote the schedule for five employees, and I was the customer service manager. We did Western Union, UPS, sold Money Orders, Cashed checks, Lotto, all returns. I would go to other grocery stores in the area and be fill in as bookkeeper while that stores bookkeeper was on vacation.
Job Tasks: The company I work for is a manufacturer. We sell all over the world, dealing with customers from other countries.
As the office manager I am responsible for many things related to the operations of the business:
- I take orders via fax, email, phone.
- I process the purchase orders to sales orders using Access.
- I take the orders to the shipping room and find the right box and fill orders setting them where they are picked up at the end of the day.
- I process the orders using UPS for pick up or process the orders as customer wants to set up a pick up time with other carriers such as FedEx, DHL, etc.
- I process shipped sales orders to invoices using Quickbooks program.
- I type all sales orders in Quickbooks to print invoices to mail them to our customers.
- I do payroll two times a month.
- I pay payroll taxes twice a month.
- I process the quarterly taxes four times a year.
- I answer questions customers may have.
- I create a balance sheet and profit and loss statement every month presented to my manager along with totals of monies in each of our accounts along with any due bills that are coming up in the future.
- Prepare monthly reports to present to manager and pay monthly commission on our sales reps who are throughout the United States.
- Answer phones, replies as needed over fax machine or email.
- I update all contact lists in the database.
- I update inventory every month using Excel.
- I order all needed office supplies, shipping supplies.
- I process all payments.
- I pay all bills.
- I gather all information needed for the federal tax return and take it to the accountant.
Best and Worst Parts of the Job: Best parts: My insurance paid in full for me and two children, I work with very nice people. It is an easy job, and I get to spend time on Internet, if needed I can leave early for family or whatever.
Worst parts: Dead end job, no retirement, can be boring when I'm not busy enough and yet some days it can be overwelming
1. Make sure you get paid for doing the job of three people.
2. Always be nice to the customer because the customer is always right.
3. In your personal life, stay out of trouble so you dont have to take a dead end job to feed your family or pay the bills.