Technical Analyst With A Financial Services Company
Job Title: Technical Analyst
Education: MS (Computer Information System) Strayer University BS (Electronics Engineering) Northwestern Polytechnic University, China
Previous Experience: I had been working as electronic engineer since I graduated in 1987. Then I had a chance to migrate to Canada in 1998 and found a job in US. Then I change my major to software engineer. It was hard at the beginning, but since I have the solid technical back group, I picked up very quickly. Now I am technical analyst in a big financial company.
Job Tasks: Our company is financial company; Our mission is to provide liquidity, stability and affordability to the housing market.
My work is responsible for service process automation, non-production environment delivery, test environment support, and RE1 lab administration and coordination. The mission of work is high quality and efficient environment delivery and support through the application of a consistent and streamlined process that complies with the non-production control level.
This includes two parts:
1. provides application administration for the BladeLogic application (change management software for large data centers). These administration responsibilities include:
- Manage the BladeLogic agent license
- Install BladeLogic server
- Set up BladeLogic user roles
- Evaluate the newer version of BladeLogic software and patches
- Upgrade/patch BladeLogic server in both develop and production environments
- Assistant BladeLogic users to open Technical Service Request
- Provide consulting to each platform owners and users
- Monitoring BladeLogic server status and activities
I am responsible for web/middleware non-production environment delivery. Customer Technical Service team works with Delivery Service proect team to define environment request and submit it us. We reviews the request and follow established environment delivery process to fulfill the request.
- Build new instances of WebLogic, webMethods, Tomcat, Apache, iLog, etc.
- Set up running environment to support batch jobs. It includes the setup of directory structure, permission etc.
- Set up middleware baseline for all non-production environments
- Environment retirement
I spend most of time on technical work, 5% on administrative task.
Best and Worst Parts of the Job: The best of the job is I can work on the techinical staff which I like and I am in the good team, my manager is technical expert and our comunication is very well.
The worst parts of the job is continuing reorg in the company and you never concentrate on your goal.
1. Always have energy to learn new things
2. Adapt the environment quickly
3. Be honest and trustworthy and have an open mind.
4. Need to be productive and proactive to do things,
5. Like to help others and build up good friendships and relationships.
6. Need have a goal in your career, short term and long term,
7. Always have a plan to do things, be prepared and well organized.