Senior Technical Developer For A Manufacturing Company
Job Title: Senior Technical Developer
Type of Company: I work for a Fortune 500 manufacturing company.
Education: Masters in Computer Science
Previous Experience: I have been working in computer field for past 15 years
Job Tasks: I do software development, working on technologies for creating web pages.
I work with Oracle databases and HTML (web page code). I lead a team of people in USA and offshore. I have lots of responsibilities in meeting timelines.
My typical day starts at 9am and ends at 5pm but sometimes I need to work evenings and weekends to meet a deadline.
Best and Worst Parts of the Job: Best part of job is the flexibility. I have been with this company for 10 years and so they know my skills and they are comfortable with me. I am confident of my ability to get the job done and they know that I am confident and believe in myself.
The worst part of the job is the getting up in the morning when you feel like sleeping, putting kids in daycare when you/they don't want to go, driving in traffic when you wish to eat hot breakfast. That is for any job not just this job. As long as you work for someone, you don't have control. Someone else dictates what you do and you have to ask permission for everything.
1. Be confident. Build your self image.
2. Be aware of what you know and be aware of what you don't know. That is, know your strengths and weaknesses. It is ok not to know everything.
3. Honesty makes life easier. Employers don't expect a superman - just someone they can trust and can get the job done.
Additional Thoughts: My advice in order of priority:
1. Be happy. Everything happens for a reason. You just don't know the reason yet.
2. Read self improvement book every day at least for 15 minutes.
3. Exercise at least 2-3 times a week.
4. Associate with people who are better off than you are. This will stretch you.
5. Don't associate with people who pull you down and criticize you all the time.
6. There is no such thing as 'good criticism'. The only good criticism is the one which offers solution.
7. Know the latest technology improvements and be aware of it.
8. Be open minded to opportunities.
9. Read the book "Who moved my cheese".
10. Your income is the average of 10 people you associate with regularly. If you wish to increase your income, change the people whom you associate with.