Introduction to Andalusia, Alabama
The area now known as the city of Andalusia was originally inhabited by the Creek Indians. It was first settled by the whites in the 1840s. Originally, it was named New Site. The first post office was established in 1846 and the area was renamed Andalusia. Many believe the city was named after the Andalusia Province of Spain. In fact, in Spanish the word means "to walk easy." The Georgia Railroad first entered the city in 1899.
Andalusia and nearby Attractions
- Conecuh National Forest
- Three Notch Museum
- Point "A" Beach
- Lacy Black Rushing Museum
- Frank Jackson State Park
- Boll Weevil Monument
Things To Do In Andalusia
Popular spots to visit in the city include the Andalusia Commercial Historic District, Cooper Park, Johnson Memorial Park, and Robinson Memorial Park. The Lacy Black Rushing Museum and Three Notch Museum are also worth taking a look around. The Covington Mall Shopping Center, Three Notch Shopping Center, and West Gate Plaza Shopping Center are the major shopping spots in the Andalusia area.
Panama City-Bay Co International is the closest major airport.
Andalusia Higher Education
Lurleen B Wallace Junior College is located in Andalusia. Reid State Technical College, Troy State University - Main Campus, Jefferson Davis Community College, and Martin University are also close by.