Introduction to Lanett, Alabama
Lanett derived its name from two local mill owners, Lafayette Lanier and Theodore Bennett. Originally, Lanett was known as the Town of Bluffton. It was incorporated on December 7, 1865. After 28 years, the citizens changed its name and the City of Lanett was founded on February 1, 1895, following an approval of the charter for name change. One of the last Civil War battles east of the Mississippi occurred near the city in 1865.
Lanett and nearby Attractions
- Riverside Country Club
- Valley Shopping Center
- West Side Baptist Church
- Fort Tyler
- Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art
- Chambers County Museum
Things To Do In Lanett
Southern Harbor Resort and Marina, located in the south end of West Point Lake in Lanett, offers a variety of lakefront activities including cottage rentals, boating, water sports, and the Key west Grille restaurant. The City of Lanett's recreation center offers youth football, soccer, cheerleading, and basketball. Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art features collections of American and European 19th and 20th century art. Chewacla State Park spreads over 696 acres of land and offers camping, swimming, fishing, boating, hiking, and picnicking. There are also a few shopping places offering popular chain stores, specialty boutiques, antique shops, and local flea markets.
The nearest airport is Columbus Metropolitan Airport.
Lanett Higher Education
Auburn University, Southern Union State Community College, and Columbus State University are the closest universities and colleges.