Introduction to Tuscumbia, Alabama
The French were the first settlers in the area adjacent to the Tennessee River in the 1700s. However, the town was ruined in 1786. The Chickasaw Indians were the next settlers, and they built their town near the spring. This town was incorporated as Ococoposa in the year 1820. In 1822, there was a vote taken to change the town's name to either Tuscumbia, honoring the Chickasaw Indian chief, or Anniston or Annisville, honoring the first white child born in the town. Tuscumbia won by a single vote. In 1867, Tuscumbia became the county seat of Colbert County.
Tuscumbia and nearby Attractions
- Helen Keller Home
- Spring Creek Golf Course
- Avalon Park
- West Side Baptist Church
- Saint Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
Things To Do In Tuscumbia
The city of Tuscumbia in Alabama is home to many churches including Saint Johns Episcopal Church, West Side Baptist Church, and Church of Christ. Other renowned locations in the city are the Spring Creek Golf Course and the Helen Keller Birth Place. One can enjoy the many facilities offered at the parks including Avalon Park, Spring Park, and Buffington Field. A visit to the Throckmorton Branch is also enjoyable.
Northwest Alabama Regional airport is the closest airport to Tuscumbia.
Tuscumbia Higher Education
Institutes of higher education which can be attended by the residents of Tuscumbia include Northwest Shoals Community College-Muscle Shoals, University of North Alabama, Itawamba Community College, and John C Calhoun State Community College.