Introduction to Beverly Hills, California
Beverly Hills, California, in Los Angeles county, is 6 miles NE of Santa Monica, California (center to center) and 9 miles W of Los Angeles, California. The city is a popular tourist destination and features some of the largest houses in the county and the United States. Beverly Hills is one of the most expensive housing areas in the nation. It's bordered on the north by the Santa Monica Mountains.
The community has a large number of celebrity residents. The well known Sunset Boulevard traverses through the city. Most residents live in the flat areas. The most expensive homes are situated in the hills. Beverly Hills includes a large Iranian-American community.
Beverly Hills History
In 1769 Gaspar de Portola and his expedition arrived in the region. The expedition included Franciscan priests. In 1848 California was acquired by the United States in the Treaty of Guadeloupe Hidalgo. It was named after the rolling hills situated in Beverly Massachusetts. In 1906 the Percy H. Clark Co. announced that Beverly Hills was open.
In 1911 construction began on the famous Beverly Hills Hotel. Numerous show business celebrities made Beverly Hills their home. The city created a marketing campaign which emphasized it was one of the most glamorous cities in the world for shopping.
Beverly Hills Attractions
- The Beverly Hills Food Festival is an annual event occurring in the Beverly Gardens Park.
- Two Rodeo offers a variety of restaurants, boutiques and salons.
- Greystone Mansion is a Tudor style structure and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The mansion and the land are often featured in movies and on television.
- Walden Drive is an attractive street and is often featured in movies.
- The historic City Hall is an impressive structure.
- Rodeo Drive is a well known, expensive shopping location.
- Museum of Radio and Television features a huge collection of television and radio programs.
- Beverly Drive is a popular shopping destination.
- A trolley ride through Beverly Hills is available which travels by the homes of celebrities and well known shopping areas.
Beverly Hills Activities
The Beverly Gardens Park is situated along Santa Monica Boulevard and includes a jogging path, gardens and a pond. La Cienega Park is a popular destination and provides opportunities for athletic activities. The Los Angeles Country Club is popular with celebrities. Hollywood, the beautiful beaches in Santa Monica and the Santa Monica Pier are nearby. Los Angeles is a short distance away and offers a wide variety of activities and entertainment.
Beverly Hills Higher Education
UCLA is nearby.
Beverly Hills Transportation
Air travel is provided at the Los Angeles International Airport.