Retail, wholesale, transportation and agriculture are the major elements of El Centro's economy. The major employment sectors are the government, wholesale, agriculture, construction, education, healthcare and transportation. About 27% of the workforce is employed by the government and approximately 22% of the workforce is employed in sales and office jobs.
Some of the most popular jobs in El Centro primarily filled by college graduates are teachers, registered nurses, accountants and auditors, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, sales managers and child, family and school social workers. Occupations which are more common in El Central when compared to most of the nation's other cities are agricultural equipment operators, farm workers, farm equipment mechanics, power plant operators, machinery maintenance workers and electrical power-line installers and repairers.
Notable data regarding Chico: In 2007 the estimated median household income in El Centro was $33,000. The cost of living index in 2008 was very close to the national average. For the population over the age of 25, about 14% have a bachelor's degree or higher.
The main employers in the area are provided below:
- All Star Seed Co - Wholesale Seeds & Bulbs
- ARC - Disabled persons equipment and supplies
- ARC Imperial Valley - Transportation lines
- Central Union High School - Education
- El Centro Naval Air Facility - Federal government, national security
- El Centro Regional Medical CTR - Hospitals
- Imperial County Behavioral - Government
- Imperial County OFC of Education - Computer training
- United States Gypsum Co - Gypsum & gypsum products
- US Border Patrol
- Walmart Supercenter
- Altar Produce LLC
- Ametza LLC
- Imperial Irrigation District
- Vessey & Company
El Centro companies are provided assistance by business organizations such as:
- Imperial Valley Economic Development Center
- Imperial Valley Small Business Development Center
- City of El Centro Redevelopment Agency
The Imperial Valley Press Online provides up-to-date information about the business activities in El Centro.