The wine and vineyard sector and the agricultural and tourism industries are the primary elements of Napa's economy. The city is the gateway to the popular "wine trail" which brings plenty of tourism revenue to Napa. The area's more than 300 wineries provide a large number of jobs in the region. The wine and vineyard sector is the largest employer in the Napa region and the sector's combined direct and related positions provide close to half of the region's jobs.
The other primary sectors for employment for the city are education, construction, healthcare, agriculture, government, arts, entertainment and recreation; professional, scientific and technical services and finance. About 25% of the jobs are in sales and office occupations.
Some of the jobs which are more prevalent in the Napa area than most of the nation's cities include wine making equipment operators, agricultural equipment operators, first-line supervisors/managers of farming, fishing and forestry workers; farm workers and laborers, crop, nursery and greenhouse; massage therapists, packaging and filling operators and tenders and hotel, motel and desk clerks.
The Business & Career Center program is provided by the Napa County Workforce Investment Board. The program is designed to provide assistance to businesses and career seekers. Also, the Napa Business Assistance Workforce Program is available to assist companies in managing their business.
Notable data regarding Napa: In 2008 the cost of living index in Napa was a very high 170.1. The national average is 100. Approximately 23% of the population over the age of 25 have a bachelor's degree or higher. In early 2009 the average salary in Napa was $40,000.
The major employers in Napa are shown below:
- Dey LP - Physicians & surgeons equipment & supplies - MFRS
- Health & Human Services - Government
- Marriott - Napa Valley - Hotels & motels
- Meadows Care CTR - Nursing & Convalescent
- Napa County Health & Human Services - Government
- Napa State Hospital - Hospitals
- Napa Valley College - Education
- Queen of the Valley Hospital - Hospitals
- Silverado Resort - Resorts
- Syar Industries Inc - Sand & Gravel (WHLS)
- Universal Protection Services - Security guard & patrol service
- Walmart - Department stores
- Westin - Napa - Hotels & motels
- Westin - Verasa, Napa - Hotels & motels
Napa companies are offered assistance by business organizations such as:
- Napa Chamber of Commerce
- Napa Economic Development Department
- Napa Valley College Small Business Development Center
The Napa Valley Register offers up-to-date information regarding the business activities in Napa.