Redding is the center for trade and commerce in the upstate area of Northern California. Services such as medical, retail and legal have become the economic base for Redding. This economic foundation is primarily due to the requirements of a large number of retirees relocating from primarily the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles. The other major sectors for employment are tourism, healthcare, education, government, finance and insurance, social assistance and construction. About 26% of Redding's workers are in sales and office occupations and about 16% are employed by the government. Tourism based jobs are primarily connected to visitors who utilize Redding as a base to explore Lake Shasta, Lassen Volcanic National Park and other destinations.
Some of the most popular jobs in Redding which are typically filled by college graduates are teachers, registered nurses, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, accountants and auditors, civil engineers, financial managers and medical and health services managers.
Redding is part of the Shasta Metro Enterprise Zone which offers significant state tax credits and other types of benefits to existing and new businesses. Shasta Biz includes the Cascade Small Business Development Center which offers a variety of assistance.
Notable information regarding Redding: In 2008 the cost of living index was at 97.3 and the average in the United States is 100. About 19% of the population over 25 years of age have a bachelor's degree or higher. In early 2009 the average salary in Redding was $37,000.
The major employers in Redding are:
- Aggregate Products - Asphalt & asphalt products
- Ave's Audio Visual Equipment - Equipment Renting & Leasing
- Bridge Bay Resort Marina - Marinas
- Clark Pest Control - Pest Control
- Lassen Canyon Nursery - Plants and trees wholesale
- Mercy Medical Center - Hospitals
- Northern California Rehab Hospital - Hospitals
- Oakdale Heights MGMT Corp - Business Management Consultants
- Redding Lumber Transport - Trucking
- Shascade Event CTR - Social service & welfare organization
- Shasta College - Education
- Shasta County Health & Human Services - Government
- Shasta Head Start Development - Non-profit organization
- Shasta Healthcare - Nursing & Convalescent Homes
- Shasta Regional Medical CTR - Hospitals
- Transportation Department - State government
- US Post Office - Government
- Victor Residential CTR - Residential care homes
- Walmart - Department Stores
- Win-River Casino - Casinos
Redding companies may obtain assistance from business organizations such as:
The Redding Record Searchlight offers up-to-date information regarding the business activities in Redding.