Salinas has an agricultural based economy due to being located in one of California's most fertile farming regions. The floral industry and grape vineyards are significant elements of the economy. Salinas is home to the headquarters of many vegetable producers. Numerous crops contribute to the economy including strawberries, lettuce, broccoli, watermelons, spinach, cabbages and carrots. Salinas is known as the Salad Bowl of America. The Salinas Valley produces over 80% of the lettuce grown in the nation. The region is also home to numerous wineries.
The major sectors for employment in Salinas are government, agriculture, trade, manufacturing, healthcare, social assistance and construction. Salinas is home to over 100 manufacturing companies. Also, about 18% of the jobs in the city are in sales and office occupations.
Some of the jobs more prevalent in Salinas than most other cities include farm, ranch and other agricultural managers; farm workers and laborers, crops, nursery and greenhouse; graders and sorters of agricultural products; first-line supervisors/managers of farming, fishing and forestry workers; agricultural equipment operators, interpreters and translators, farm equipment mechanics and teachers.
Noteworthy data about Salinas: The workforce is about 54% blue collar. The cost of living index in 2008 was at 115.5. The national average is 100. Regarding the population over 25 years of age, about 12% have a bachelor's degree or higher. In early 2009 the average salary in Salinas was $31,000.
Shown below are some of the major employers in the Salinas area:
- D'Arrigo Brothers Co - Fruits & vegetables growers & shippers
- Fresh Express - Food products (WHLS)
- Hilltown Packing Company - Harvesting - Contract
- Dole Fresh Vegetables
- HSBC Card Svc Inc - Credit Card & other credit plans
- Mann Packing - Fruits & vegetables - growers & shippers
- Monterey County Social Svc - Government
- Monterey County Public Works - Grading contractors
- Natividad Medical CTR - Hospitals
- Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital - Hospitals
- Social Services Dept - Senior citizens service organizations
- Special Education School Division - Education
- Taylor Farms California Inc - Fruits & vegetables - growers & shippers
Salinas companies may obtain assistance from business organizations such as:
The Salinas Californian offers up-to-date information regarding the business activities in Salinas.