Introduction to Beacon Falls, Connecticut
Beacon Falls History
Among the early settlers of the region were residents from nearby Derby who came to this area in 1678. The town was incorporated into the state in 1871 by merging territory from the neighborhood towns of Bethany, Seymour, Oxford, and Naugatuck. It was named after Beacon Hill, which was used as a lookout by colonists to signal any terrorist activities of hostile Indians. Beacon Falls has one railroad station named the Metro North, which runs on the New Haven line's Waterbury branch. Thomas Sanford, who made the first friction matches in 1834, was a resident of this area.
Beacon Falls and nearby Attractions
- American Clock & Watch Museum
- Quassy Amusement Park
- Beacon Falls Public Library
- Eli Whitney Gun Factory
- Mount Southington
Things To Do In Beacon Falls
Beacon Falls offers many recreational opportunities. The town has many parks such as Quassy Amusement Park and South Ford Falls State Park. The museums in the town include the Mattatuck Museum and Railroad Museum of New England. The town has a number of historic sites as well. These include the Eli Whitney Gun Factory, Harriet Beecher Stowe House, and Harrison House.
Beacon Falls Transportation
The closest airport to the city is the Tweed-New Haven Airport.
Beacon Falls Higher Education
Albertus Magnus College, Quinnipiac University, and Central Connecticut State University are close to the town of Beacon Falls.