Introduction to Guilford, Connecticut
A group of English Puritans arrived in Quinnipiac colony, which is now known as New Haven, in 1639. Reverend Henry Whitfield negotiated with the local Native American sachem, Shaumpishuh, for a tract of land. The area was known as Menuncatuck at that time. The community later changed the name to Guilford, after a town in England. The colony prospered due to income from the rich local fields and orchards. The Connecticut Turnpike was constructed in the 20th century and catalyzed the development of the town.
Guilford and nearby Attractions
- Henry Whitfield State Historical Museum
- Guilford Historic Town Center
- Old Stone House
- Strawberry Hill Shopping Center
- Spinning Mill Brook
- Chaffinch Island State Park
Things To Do In Guilford
The Henry Whitfield State Historical Museum, the Thomas Griswold House, the Hyland House and the Henry Whitfield State Museum are all very easily accessible from the town and provide valuable information about the region's history. The Strawberry Hill Shopping Center, Westwoods Plaza Shopping Center and Guilford Plaza Shopping Center are ideal destinations for those who like to shop. In addition, the town hosts celebrations like the Guilford Fair and the Little Folks' Fair every year.
Air transportation is available at Tweed-New Haven Airport.
Guilford Higher Education
Quinnipiac University, Gateway Community College and Yale University offer opportunities for higher education.