Introduction to Middlebury, Connecticut
Middlebury was constructed by Isaac Bronson in the early 1700s. In 1786, winter ecclesiastical privileges, including church services, were established in West Farms, in the southwest part of Waterbury. In 1790, this region, along with portions of Southbury and Woodbury, was established as a distinct ecclesiastical society. The name Middlebury was derived from the fact that the meeting house of Middlebury was 6 miles from each Woodbury, Southbury and Waterbury. Middlebury was officially incorporated in October, 1807.
Middlebury and nearby Attractions
- Railroad Museum of New England
- Mattatuck Museum
- Weir Farm National Historic Site
- Copernican Observatory & Planetarium
- Pardee Rose Garden
- Macedonia Brook State Park
Things To Do In Middlebury
Local historical sites and museums include the Weir Farm National Historic Site, the Timexpo Museum, the Railroad Museum of New England, the Eli Whitney Gun Factory and the Mattatuck Museum. Children are likely to enjoy a trip to the Lake Compounce Theme Park, the Copernican Observatory & Planetarium and the Quassy Amusement Park, all of which are within 20 miles of the town. The Black Rock State Park and the Kettletown State Park are both situated on over 400 acres of land, and offer facilities for camping, fishing, picnicking, swimming and hiking. The Hetzel Refuge is located at 1,627 feet and offers a fantastic view of the surrounding area.
Tweed-New Haven Airport is nearby.
Middlebury Higher Education
Quinnipiac University, Naugatuck Valley Community College and Southern Connecticut State University provide opportunities for higher education.