Introduction to Redding, Connecticut
The town of Redding, officially incorporated in 1767, was named as Reading after the town in Berkshire, United Kingdom. The spelling of its name was changed after 1767, but it was made official by the US Post Office in the mid 1880s. Cyprian Nichols was the first person to receive a land grant in 1687. The town was also the final home of the renowned author Mark Twain.
Redding and nearby Attractions
- Huntington State Park
- Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art
- Putnam Memorial Park
- Barnum Museum
- John Jay Homestead Historic Site
- Weir Farm National Historic Site
Things To Do In Redding
Redding is home to a number of local museums such as the Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art and the Barnum Museum. Tourists may visit various historic sites such as the John Jay Homestead Historic Site and the Weir Farm National Historic Site. The Weir Farm National Historic Site was the summer retreat of the famous American painter, J. Alden Weir, between 1852 and 1919. Visitors will enjoy the 878 - acre Huntington State Park as it provides fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and canoeing opportunities.
Danbury Municiapl Airport is located at a short distance away.
Redding Higher Education
Higher education centers located close to Redding are the University of Bridgeport, Western Connecticut State University, and Fairfield University.