Introduction to Kendall, Florida
Kendall is an unincorporated community in Miami-Dade County, Florida, located about 10 miles southwest of Miami along U.S. Route 1. Situated on the edge of the Florida Everglades, Kendall is home to the Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, one of the Miami metro area's general aviation airports. The community was named after an executive of the British Land Company, an organization responsible for mapping and surveying many parts of the state of Florida. Other nearby communities include Cutler Ridge (5 miles to the south) and Coral Gables (8 miles to the north).
Attractions in Kendall and Surrounding Areas
Kendall is home to the innovative Metrozoo, a world renowned facility showcasing animals with freedom to roam within its almost 300 acres of jungles, forest and trails surrounded by moats. Of particular note are the facility's world-class aviary and its rare White Bengal Tigers. The Greater Miami area, well known for its beaches, is itself chock full of attractions of all types, including the following:
- Bass Museum of Art (Miami Beach): Features European, American, Asian and contemporary art as well as traveling exhibitions from around the globe.
- Barnacle State Historic Park (Coconut Grove): Built in 1891 by Coconut Grove pioneer Ralph Munroe.
- Miami Seaquarium: Home to annual extravaganzas including an Easter Egg Hunt, Monster Splash Halloween Bash and Winter Kids Fest.
- Coral Castle (Homestead): A unique fantasy world carved out of stone.
- Everglades Alligator Farm (Homestead): Home to more than 3,000 gators.
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (Coral Gables): Features extensive collections of rare tropical plants.
- Biscayne National Park (Homestead).
- Lowe Art Museum (Coral Gables).
- Parrot Jungle Island.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
Miami is also home to the World and U.S. Chess Hall of Fame, the only official museum of the World Chess Federation (FIDE) and the U.S. Chess Federation (USCF). The museum chronicles chess history and explores such topics as the birth of modern chess, the origins of college chess, chess in the Old West, chess as related to U.S. presidents, links between chess and baseball and more.
Sports fans in Kendall are only a stone's throw away from top notch professional action located in the city of Miami, home to the following major league teams:
- Baseball: Florida Marlins (MLB).
- Football: Miami Dolphins (NFL).
- Basketball: Miami Heat (NBA).
- Hockey: Florida Panthers (NHL).