Port St. Lucie is primarily a bedroom community, however the city is developing a downtown business area. The major sectors for employment in Port St. Lucie are healthcare, construction, accommodation and food services, finance and insurance and government. QVC is a large private employer in the county and a number of jobs are related to their inbound call center. In addition, the Professional Golf Association has a facility in Port St. Lucie.
Many residents commute to other cities for work. St. Lucie County includes the St. Lucie County's Life Science Cluster which has attracted some interest from companies and organizations. Two of the major employers in the county's banking sector are Harbor Federal Savings Bank and Riverside National Bank. Walmart and Publix Supermarkets are major employers for retail jobs. The county also includes numerous industrial parks.
Some of the most popular jobs filled by workers with college degrees are registered nurses, teachers, wholesale and manufacturing sales representatives, accountants and auditors, management analysts, lawyers, child, family and social workers; securities, commodities and financial services sales agents; pharmacists and physical therapists.
Shown below is a list of the major employers in Port St. Lucie:
- Liberty Healthcare Group Inc
- Liberty Medical Supply
- City of Port St. Lucie
- St Lucie Medical Center
- Campo-Care Inc
- World Electric Supply Inc
- Village Hotel of Sandpiper Inc
- Gerelco Electrical Contractors Inc
- Port Saint Lucie Management LLC
- Pga Management Services Inc
- The Heart & Family Health Institute of Port Saint Lucie Inc
- Nurse On Call of South Florida Inc
- Burnac Produce Inc
- Medical Equipment Technologies Inc
- School District of Saint Lucie County
- Indian River Community College
Notable data regarding Port St. Lucie: In 2008 the cost of living index was 92.6 which is below the national average of 100. In 2007 the estimated median household income was $49,000. About 15% of the residents have a bachelor's degree or better.
Port St. Lucie companies have access to business organizations such as:
- Port St Lucie Chamber of Commerce
- Economic Development Council of St Lucie County
- Florida Economic Development Council Inc
The TCPalm offers current information about the business endeavors in Port St. Lucie.