Introduction to Adel, Georgia
The city of Adel was incorporated into the state on October 3, 1889. Originally, the region was known as Puddleville. According to historical data, the city's first postmaster, Joel Parish, saw the name "Philadelphia" on a crocus sack, took out the middle letters, and renamed the city "Adel." The city was initially a part of Berrien county, but following the formation of Cook county Adel was named its county seat.
Adel and nearby Attractions
- Reed Bingham State Park
- Jim Paulk-Sowega Building
- Circlestone Country Club
- Lowndes county Historical Society Museum
Things To Do In Adel
The 375-acre Reed Bingham State Park, situated 8 miles west of Adel, has many facilities for various outdoor activities such as boating, water skiing, camping, and fishing. The Jim Paulk-Sowega Building is nearby; constructed in 1930, the building currently houses the Adel-Cook County Chamber of Commerce. The city is also home to the 18-hole Circlestone Country Club.
The closest airport to the city is the Valdosta Regional Airport.
Adel Higher Education
College education is available at Valdosta State University, Albany State University, and Florida State University.